Saturday 12 January 2013

Currently playing a variant of a Nuzlocke challenge in Pokemon

After playing Pokemon for a while, some people consider the Pokemon games as rather easy. So, they impose some challenges into their on playthrough of the game and by doing so, make the game more challenging.

One of the most common self imposed challenge in a Pokemon game is called the Nuzlocke challenge. It has three simple rules:

  1. If a Pokemon is fainted, it is considered dead and must be released. Alternatively, you could just place it in a box in the PC with the name 'Graveyard' on it if you refuse to release your Pokemon.
  2. You can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter in a new area. If you knock out that Pokemon, there's no second chance. Some people do invoke 'Dupes Clause', where they catch the first Pokemon they encounter in a new area that has not been caught before, to increase variety. Some may debate whether a gifted Pokemon is considered an encounter in a city or area, but I don't wanna go too deep into that discussion.
  3. Finally, you must nickname your Pokemon. This is serves as a way to be close to your Pokemon, and when they die, it's more emotional or something.
After hearing it from my friend, I tried it on Pokemon Emerald. And I beaten the game.

Then one day, a Youtube user I subscribed to called Marriland (known for his Pokemon website PokemonMarriland.com) decided to do a Nuzlocke on Pokemon Emerald. Upon completing the challenge, he unveiled in the credit scene of the last episode, that he's going to do something called a 'Wedlocke' in Pokemon Heart Gold.

Me being curious on what it is, decided to check his video out. It's actually another variation of the Nuzlocke challenge to make playing the game even harder. It's a bit hard for me to explain the rules of the challenge, so I'll just post his video here.

It made me interested. So I decided to try this new challenge on Pokemon Heart Gold, the same game he was playing.

So far I'm doing fine, or that's what I think. I've gotten four out of the eight badges and I have two deaths so far. My first death was my male Ratata who died from a critical hit while training. My second death was a rather sad one. A Pokemon whom I thought will be a Pokemon that will stick in the team till the very end - a Flaffy - got hit by a critical hit from a Sudowoodo blocking the way to our journey to the next city.

I've got to say, this challenge, while tougher, is really fun. I had to think through who to use whenever I face my rival or face a gym battle. This is because in this challenge, your team must consist of equal amount of male and female Pokemon, in which a male and a female are paired together. These pairings are permanent and you can't just switch partners with other pairings in your team.

Why does this make the challenge tough? Because in a battle the only Pokemon that the Pokemon that is currently out can switch to is his/her partner. And when a partner dies, the other one must be sent out to either win, or die, only then you can send out a new pairing. This means that I have to send my two best Pokemon in that situation to fight the battle to avoid any deaths.

So yeah, I've just finished a really intense battle between the forth gym leader and my team. I hope that my pairing will survive till the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment