Friday 28 December 2012

The Ace Attorney series, and I watched the Ace Attorney movie

I actually got into the series last year. Initially I wasn't that interested in the Ace Attorney series, but in the end I got interested thanks to another series for the DS and a crossover game starring the main characters of both series.

Yes, I'm talking about the Professor Layton series. I love the PL series because I like puzzles, and solving puzzles. While doing Sudoku is fine by me, I always like to find different types of puzzles to do, and PL has plenty of them.

So when I heard they were going to have a crossover with the Ace Attorney series, I was excited. But I didn't know anything about the Ace Attorney games. So, I tried it out.

And I was hooked.

It was really enjoyable. While the point and click part was okay, and the dialogues have plenty of pop culture references, the best part of the game was what happens in the courtroom. The things that happen in there were so interesting that I wish real life court processions were like that.

Anyways, because of that, I look forward to play as Phoenix Wright when I do play Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3. And now I look forward to both PL VS AA and Ace Attorney 5.

But before all that, I watched the Ace Attorney movie.

As a movie based on a video game, the show doesn't suck, which is good since most movies based on video games are shit. While is nice to see all the movie references they made, people who played the first game would have a rough idea on what is going to happen. Meaning, if you played the game, you're instantly spoiled on the events of the movie.

Even though the plot of the movie is slightly different from the game since they had to squeeze cases 1 - 4 in one movie and try to combine case 1-2 and 1-4 together, people who played the game before will know what is going to happen. But I think that's alright. I mean, at least they stick to the actual plot.

Some of the characters are portrayed well in the movie. Some, however, not so. Like Maya Fey. I mean, like other than the fact that she's not a childish 18 year old, how the hell does she know how to play a piano?! I don't think her piano playing skills are even mentioned in the game. Also, Gumshoe doesn't seem like the bumbling lovable fool he is in the game. And Redd White doesn't even look like is video game counterpart.

I think the best characters in the movie were Wright and Larry Butz, mostly Larry Butz. I think Wright was portrayed better than some of the characters in the movie, but Larry Butz has the best portrayal. I always smile when I see him on the screen because I think this is how a real life Larry Butz would actually act. Needless to say, while he isn't my favourite character in the game, he is in the movie.
\
Anyways, my history with this series is rather short, and I don't have much to say about it. So I guess that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment