Thursday 6 March 2014

Top 5 Moments of the Pokemon Y Wonderlocke Challenge

Yeah, I know I have not been posting stuff in a month, and I've actually completed the Pokemon Wonderlocke a few weeks ago. It was a challenge, and a member died fighting the Elite Four, but I won in the end. Also, my uni just started, so I might be posting less.

Anyways, to celebrate the completion of the Pokemon Y Wonderlocke, let me recap my Top 5 Moments of the Wonderlocke.

5. Every starter I have dying before reaching their final level (at first).
I knew that Charmander is a popular Pokemon, and there will be a high chance of getting it from Wonder Trade, so I picked Charmander as my starter so I could get the mega stone, and I would have a high chance of using it since it's a popular Pokemon. Everything went smoothly for Charmeleon until I reached the Shalour Gym, where a Charmeleon's Fire Fang was countered by Heracross', well, Counter, killing one of my starter off.

He was the first starter Pokemon I have that died, and soon, Monferno and Quiladdin followed suit, all dying before reaching their final evolution. That made me realized that I can't leave my Pokemon unevolved or they will die fighting or training, so that was when I evolved Nidorina straight away.
Fortunately, there was one starter that evolved to it's final evolution, and that was a Greninja, whom I got as a Froakie pretty late in the game (after the 8th gym). And with the training he received, he was one of the members I used to face the Pokemon League, and win.

4. Getting some cool Pokemons from Wonder Trade.
While Wonder Trading is like playing a roulette, I did receive some cool Pokemons, like a Malamar with Contrary, a Sliggoo close to evolving, and even a Lv 7 Leafeon of all things. As a competitive battler, I won't see these guys as good trades from Wonder Trade, but as a Wonderlocke runner, these guys are really useful and helped me a lot in my journeys.

But sometimes, it's not the cool Pokemons that help you in your way, but the unexpected ones. Who knew my team would end up having a Pyroar and a Nidoqueen, and who knew the Flabebe I got from Wonder Trade came in handy as a wall Pokemon. Sometimes, the journey of the Wonderlocke brings some unexpected surprises, and there were many in this one.

3. The unexpected deaths of Mawile, Malamar, and Goodra.
Among some of the party members I have, Mawile and Malamar were two of the longest members in my main party. Mawile was the 2nd Pokemon I received from Wonder Trade, and Malamar was the 3rd. Mawile dying from a Mienshao unexpectedly was rather shocking for me, as I lost a member who was with me since the very beginning.

Malamar and Goodra, both key members in the attack on Team Flare were killed on the way to the Pokemon League right after the final gym, which kind of made me lost some of my team's morale as they were key members. Nonetheless, I moved forward, to a better future with a (hopefully) better team.

2. The Great Battle against Team Flare.
In the battle against Team Flare right after the 7th Gym, 5 of my main members died fighting the criminal organization of Kalos.

First off was Zoroark. One thing I didn't know (that cost me his life) was that Lysandre's Pyroar is faster than I thought, and it was able to take out Zoroark as he was a fragile sweeper. I replaced him and continued forward, fighting the Team Flare scientist one by one.

And then I had a rematch against Scientist Celosia. That was one of the most unluckiest battle I ever faced, and I nearly lost the Wonderlocke because of it.

Her Manectric was easy, but the problem arise when Drapion came up. It used Accupressure, a move that raises a random stat of his by two levels, said stat happens to be evasion of all things. Soon, her Drapion became a monster with +2 Attack, +2 Speed, and worse of all, +4 Evasion. I thought I was a goner since nothing can stand against it. My Drapion, Leafeon and Flourges died to it. Fortunately, Pyroar was able to get through all the bad luck, and landed a Flamethrower on it, killing it off.

My main party used to have 9 Pokemons, and it became 6 because of it. In the meantime, I was training Dragonair at the side, hoping for it to evolve when the time is right.

Meanwhile, the 2nd battle against Lysandre cost me my Raichu's life. It was the 2nd time a Mienshao killed my Pokemon, and suddenly I have not many usable Pokemons left.

Heading towards the basement, I fought more grunts and admins, and my Dragonair finally evolved into a Dragonite, right before the battle against Yveltal.

With Dragonite, I was able to defeat Lysandre one last time without any deaths this time around, thanks to Dragonite and Malamar.

And with that, Team Flare is gone for good, and while many of my Pokemons died in the process, I knew they did well, as they fought well against their enemies.

1. Defeating the Elite Four with minimal casualties (only 1).
The Pokemon League battles were one of the hardest and most stressful battles I ever have to face, second and third being the Team Flare battle and the Victory Road battles.

I have to plan everything right, and obey the rules I've set at the same time so that no one dies.

I faced Malva and Drasna first as they both could be swept easily with Greninja and Dragonite respectively.

Then I faced Wikstrom. While his team takes some thinking, everything went as planned, and he was defeated quickly as well.

However, the Siebold battle was a battle I knew there might be deaths (even though I tried to avoid it). Almost all of his Pokemons are threats to my Pokemon one way or another, and I have to plan my fight correctly.

I started off with Azumarill to face his Clawitzer, defeating it before it defeated me. He sent his Gyarados out, and I switched to Lickilicky. One thing I didn't predict was Waterfall flinching Lickilicky, when let to its eventual death. I was still able to defeat the Gyarados before it wrecked my team. Then, I outstall his Barbacle to make Stone Edge run out of PP so that Dragonite can take it out easily without having a threatening move in his arsenal. Greninja finished off Starmie in the end.

The Elite Four was done, but there was one battle left and I am one Pokemon short. I decided to go for a high risk strategy, which involved Dragonite setting up two Dragon Dance and proceed to sweep the Champion's team.

It worked. While there were some hiccups in between thanks to Gourgeist, I was able to take out her whole team with Dragonite alone, all without breaking my level cap rule (which states that my highest level Pokemons cannot exceed the highest level Pokemon of the next gym leader/champion, which in this case, was 68).

In the end, the Wonderlocke is done, and I was really glad I was able to complete it. This was one of the hardest Nuzlocke challenge I've done because I made so many rules and restrictions to make this challenge as hard as I could think of. With the Wonderlocke complete, I present to you the Wonderlocke Pokemons that entered the Hall of Fame!

Dragonite (received from Karumu) - The Savior of the Wonderlocke. When many Pokemon died in the battle against Team Flare, Dragonair evolved into Dragonite, and was the Shining Beacon of Hope. While he came later than some of the crew, he was by far, the most important member of the team, and is one of the main reasons how I won the challenge.

Pyroar (received from sinite) - The 2nd most important member of the Wonderlocke. Without her, I would not have got passed Celosia's monstrous Drapion.

Nidoqueen (received from Nidlee) - A member of the team received before the 5th gym. Helped me a lot during the 5th and 6th gym battle. Being poison type, she could hold the Black Sludge, which allowed her to heal in this tough Wonderlocke.

Greninja (received from Julian) - While it's just a normal Greninja with no Protean ability, he still prove himself to be the best starter Pokemon in Kalos with his amazing movepool.

Azumarill (received from Une Baguette) - Has Huge Power, but wrong nature. Doesn't matter, still an amazing tank and kicked a lot of ass.

Lickilicky (received from Jeran) - The Tank of the team. When my team lost many of its key tank Pokemons, this Lickitung from took up the challenge. He helped Malamar during the 8th gym battle when Malamar got unlucky and froze from Ice Beam. While he died against the Elite Four, he did not die in vain.

Other members (honourable mentions):
Mawile, Goodra, Malamar, Leafeon, Raichu, Zoroark, Flourges, Heliolisk, Charmeleon, Riolu, Quilladin, and Monferno.

That's all for the Wonderlocke. I don't think I ever wanna do such a tough challenge for now. Going back to breeding and battling.

No comments:

Post a Comment